Australia’s climate is temperate but variable. It can be hot and humid one day, then cold and rainy the next. If you’re arriving in January, the average temperature is around 26 degrees Celsius, however heatwaves do happen. You should expect a number of 40+ degrees Celsius days – especially during the middle of summer. Winter temperatures vary depending on the city, but regardless of whether you are in Melbourne, Perth or Sydney, you can expect some cold days.
What to bring with you:
We would suggest that you don’t buy too much to bring with you. Most household essential items can be bought quite cheaply in Australia. The cost (an inconvenience) of carrying everything with you is often not worth it. What we do strongly recommend that you bring with you are the following items:
· All your official documentation: passport, visa, CoE, offer letter, certified copies of academic documents etc.
· Clothing suitable for both Summer and Winter. Know more about Australia’s climate.
· Australian currency: at least AUD $200 to get you started.
· Your mobile phone (if you have one). Please read information about setting up a mobile phone in Australia and choosing a provider.
· At least one warm coat – evenings can be cool in some places, even in Summer
· At least one electric travel adaptor for your electrical items
· Personal items such as photographs
What you can buy here:
We advise you leave all your large items at home as you only have a limited amount of luggage you can bring with you. You can buy the following items here at reasonable prices:
· Household items
· Pillows and linen
· Appliances such as rice cookers, toasters